Saturday, June 19, 2010

My Dad

     I'm not a fan of Father's Day  because I miss celebrating it with my Dad.  What's a hallmark holiday without the person?  I do celebrate that I had such a great dad and that really he was always there for me.  Even when I was mad at him for a few years he still welcomed me.  Even when I made bad choices he grinned and loved me anyway.  The bad choice list is long (tattoos, long-haired boyfriends, lack of studying...) he still opened his arms and hugged me.  I'm glad I spent many years after my teens and twenties fully appreciating him and his love for me. So in celebration of Father's Day I'll share my dad (Roger)with you.

Ten Facts about my Dad:

1. He was a writer and worked most of his life in the newspaper business.
2. His parents came from Russia just before WW II.
3. He wasn't afraid to cry and often did as he aged, especially when talking about his 4 children.
4. He always told me I was his favorite daughter; I have 3 brothers!  He loved this joke.
5. He was a good photographer.
6. He once severed a finger working in a factory; he asked them to sew it back on as he wouldn't be able to type.
7. He was a computer geek from way back and he ended up loving his Apple.
8. He smiled and laughed a lot.
9. He loved holidays especially Christmas.  He had a game he liked to play involving gift-giving and it had a set of rules!
10. Boating was his favorite leisure time activity.  He loved Minnesota lakes and took us on many water adventures.

I miss him immensely but am so very thankful for the time we did have.  My peaceful girl doesn't have clear recollections of her grandfather except through photos (he was the first one to feed her Newman's ice cream) but she loves to say "I sure miss Grandpa Roger, don't you mom?"  She usually says this as she rocks in his family's old rocker.I'm happy my other two children do have great memories and that my husband and my dad had a fantastic bond.

Happy Father's Day Dad! Love you and miss you!
(and as usually dad, I need help; new tires and your extra $100.00 you always seemed to save for me and I have so much to share with you...)

The photo is a late 1950's publicity photo. Someday I will share a newer photo but doesn't he look stylish!

9 comments:

Amy said...

I can't imagine how hard it is for you, but I'm glad you had a dad you loved and that you have such great memories of him. Lovely tribute.

Anonymous said...

This was very sweet and I enjoyed reading your memories of your father. Take care.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Sounds like your dad was a wonderful man. A beautiful tribute.

Janssen said...

What a lovely post.

I love those WWII haircuts!

Cecelia said...

Lovely post. I'm glad you had a good relationship with your dad. Thanks for telling us about it!

Tif Sweeney said...

This is such a great post about your dad! I love that he used to call you his favorite daughter! My mom and I have a similar joke between the two of us . . . She's my favorite mom (and also my only mom)!! :)

bermudaonion said...

What a lovely tribute to your father!

Andi said...

New to your blog, and this was such a beautiful post. I love that pic of your dad. Very, very cool. :)

Esme said...

What a lovely tribute.